Indy Power Rankings for the Week of May 12th, 2014
- Biff Busick-Last week Busick was unranked and to be honest, if you had told most people he’d be #1 this week, there’s a good possibility they would have scoffed at the notion. He hasn’t had a GREAT 2014 due to some injuries and other issues, BUT this was HIS weekend. He went into EVOLVE 29 and knocked off the 5 time former #1 in the Indy Power Rankings in Johnny Gargano and then he took his talent to CZW where he defeated CZW World Champion Drew Gulak to capture the gold for the very first time. On the IPR 2013 year end show, Busick stated emphatically that his goal in 2014 was to win the CZW World Title and be #1 in the Indy Power Rankings. Guess what? Mission accomplished. #6 in the online poll.
- Adam Cole-The ROH/PWG World Champion once again gets a high ranking, but not quite the #1. Perhaps next week will be his week? Regardless, his win this week on 5/10 at Global Wars was a huge one as he turned away the challenge of former 5 time #1 in the Indy Power Rankings in Kevin Steen. While Cole has certainly improved his win-loss record over the last couple of months, it’s possible that his schedule is keeping him away from the #1 spot at the moment. It’s likely the cream will rise to the top very soon. #2 in the online poll with 370 votes.
- Mickie Knuckles-It’s almost impossible to argue against her success this week on any level. 5 victories. That’s almost unheard of for a single weekend. The Resistance Pro Women’s Champion defeated Paloma Starr at WSU Secret Show on 5/9 and then teamed with Matt Tremont to beat Jewells Malone and Danny Havoc, Shanna and Chris Dickinson, and Candice LeRaey and Joey Ryan to become the 2014 WSU King and Queen. She also defeated Nevaeh the same day (5/10) at CZW. With 7 straight wins, she’s absolutely deserving of her spot this week. #9 in the online poll.
- Michael Elgin-After another good week, it’s hard to call Elgin anything but “Unbreakable” when it comes to his last 4 weeks. The AIW Absolute Champion defeated Takaaki Watanabe on 5/10 at ROH/NJPW Global Wars and then teamed with Seleziya Sparx to defeat MsChif and Jimmy Jacobs at Alpha One on 5/11. He is now 8-2 the last 4 weeks and is looking to grab another #1 ranking in the very near future. #10 in the online poll.
- Uhaa Nation-He was #1 last week and didn’t lose over the weekend, so why the drop? Simple. He actually lost on 5/5 as he teamed with Shachihoko BOY vs. Cyber Kong & Kzy at Dragon Gate at the start of the voting period. Clearly still a great week as he continued to rack up wins and pad his stats this year and added some big U.S. victories as well. He teamed with AR Fox on 5/9 to defeat Trent Barreta and Anthony Nese at EVOLVE 29. He then defeated Trent Barreta in singles on 5/10 at EVOLVE 30 before tagging with AR Fox and Rich Swann to Anthony Nese, Trent Barretta, and Caleb Konley in a 6 Man Ladder & Chairs Match. He has won 24 of his last 29 matches and has a 35-15 record in 2014.
- AJ Styles-“The Phenomenal One” had another flawless weekend as the IWGP Heavyweight Champion teamed with Karl Anderson to defeat Gedo & Kazuchika Okada at ROH/NJPW Global Wars on 5/10. In 2014, he has been the BULLET CLUB’s resident member of the Indy Power Rankings…for singles at least.
- Jay Lethal-The ROH TV Champion makes a return to the Indy Power Rankings after a brief hiatus. He made it clear that he’s not going anywhere any time soon after defeating Matt Taven, Silas Young, and Tommaso Ciampa in a Four Corner Survival on 5/10 to win his 6th straight match. Lethal has been on fire lately. Perhaps his first #1 ranking is on the horizon? With a good win streak and a title, it’s not hard to see it happening in the not too distant future.
- Brad Hollister-Fantastic weekend for him as he won the Iron 8 Tournament by defeating Sean Burke in the First Round, and then Antonio Thomas, Damien Wayne, and Todo Loco in the Finals to win the NECW Heavyweight Title. It’s his first time in the Top 10 and by the looks of it, it won’t be his last. #3 in the online poll with 74 votes.
- Josh Bodom-Bodom dominates the online poll! If we ran a newspaper, that would be the headline. He is the People’s Champion this week after breaking the record for most votes at 384 in the online poll. He is also the NEW Revolution Pro UK Cruiserweight Champion after defeating Prince Devitt on 5/10 and then he teamed with Sha Samuels and Terry Frazier to defeat Team Defend the same night in a 6 Man Tag. Impressive weekend, indeed.
- Jock Samson-The WAR Champion makes his return to the Indy Power Rankings after 2 weeks as People’s Champ (and a #10 ranking 2 weeks ago). He defeated Ron Mathis with a successful title defense on 5/9 at Rockstar Pro making him 8-0 as WAR Champ. He then tagged with Tommy Gibson to beat Lance Erikson and Psycho in an impromptu tag match on 5/10. It’s been a dominant title reign so far. Will he get his match with Buff Bagwell at AIW? Time will tell. #8 in the online poll.
Honorable Mention. 2 Tuff Tony-He is the NEW JCW Champion after winning that title last week. Gotta give “The Louisville Town Drunk” credit as this is NOT his first time getting a mention in the Indy Power Rankings. In 2013 he had a brush with The Top 10 as well. Congrats to him!
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
James Anthony-#5 in the online poll
Tank-#4 in the online poll
Russ Jones-#7 in the online poll
Our Website (where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting): http://indypowerrankingsipr.
Our Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/
Our Twitter: @IndyPowerRankin